4mm Price : -
Locomotive Kit £75
7mm Price (Etches only) : -
Locomotive Kit £90
P&P extra at cost
The chassis is etched in nickel silver and the body in brass.
Etched number plates can be supplied by EBM as an additional item. Please state the loco number you require from the list on the left.
Wheels, couplings, motor and gears are not included.
For 4mm the suggested items are: -
Motor: Mashima 1420
Gearbox: High Level Roadrunner+ 50:1
Wheels: Drivers 16 spoke 5’ 0” crank pin in line (Gibson 4860E)
Trailing 12 spoke 3’ 8” plain (Gibson 4844C)
In practice these two locomotives were not highly regarded: they were viewed as unsteady at speed and indifferent steamers.
The arrival of Stroudley’s Terriers and D1 tanks saw 18 and 21 transferred away from their original location at New Cross. No. 18 went to West Croydon in the 1870s to work the Wimbledon branch, and then, by 1881, to Eastbourne. Withdrawal took place in 1886.
By the early 1880s No. 21 had been transferred to Brighton where it was in use on the Horsham and Lewes services, or piloting at Brighton. Its final base was at Horsham in the mid 1880s, with withdrawal (as No. 467) taking place in 1888. In the photo above, No. 467 is standing in the Horsham roundhouse, at some point towards the end of its life.
Re-numbering was as follows: -
Stroudley 0-4-2T Nos. 18 & 21
When Stroudley took office in 1870 he found, amongst other things, that work had begun on two four-coupled tank engines. Craven’s design was for double framed saddle tanks. Stroudley’s modifications replaced these with inside frames and round topped side tanks, and the engines entered service at the end of 1871 as Nos. 18 and 21.