Four were purpose built in 1877, and were an adaptation of the design for the D37
1st. They were identical to D37 coaches except for one end door being labelled ‘Guard’,
and having windows inserted into the end itself.
For more information on these carriages, see LB&SCR Carriages Volume 1, page 156,
by Ian White, Simon Turner & Sheina Foulkes.