These mixed traffic locomotives were developed from the very successful D1 class
tanks that were so numerous on the Brighton system. They carried the same 4’ 3”
boiler and also firebox as the Single “Abergavenny” (See the ‘Stroudley Singles’).
The first batch entered service in two stages. The first two locomotives, No. 300
‘Lyons’, above, and 301 ‘Caen’ were completed in 1876/77. These were attached originally
to new Stroudley outside frame tenders, but in 1884 these were transferred to members
of the C1 class and replaced by Craven versions. Six more engines were built in
1878, Nos. 302-307, and coupled to rebuilt Craven tenders. These eight locomotives
in total had the steam brake replaced by the Westinghouse variety between 1879 and
The second batch, consisting of Nos. 308-313, was constructed in 1883, and had a
number of detail differences to the first. The most apparent were: -
Clasp brakes fitted to the coupled wheels only, and with cast iron shoes.
Spiral springs fitted to the driving axle.
Power assisted wheel and screw reversing.
Clacks on the rear ring of the barrel and fitted lower down.
The reversing rod visible through-out its length.
Front guard irons further back.
Parallel full-depth buffer beams.
The pictures of Milan and Como opposite illustrate the differences.
Stroudley D2 ‘Lyons’ Class Mixed Traffic Locomotives
The kit includes parts for both early and later versions.