This series of goods locomotives began life as a solitary 0-6-2T with a radial axlebox
at the rear. It had been designed by Stroudley, and this one engine had been started
prior to his death in 1889. Construction was continued intermittently by his successor
and then suspended before a series of design changes were made, following which No.
158 ‘West Brighton’ was completed and entered traffic in 1891.
4mm Price : -
Locomotive Kit £110
7mm Price (Etches only) : -
Locomotive Kit unavailable
P&P extra at cost
Billinton replaced crosshead pumps with injectors and cold boiler feed, and fitted
a cast iron chimney based on the Derby pattern. He also re-sited the toolbox from
its traditional place at the rear of the bunker to the cab interior. In 1899 a Stroudley
pattern chimney had to be reintroduced because the later Billinton version was incompatible
with the smokebox.
Biilinton used the design of ‘West Brighton’ as the basis for his E3 class small
radials which first entered traffic in 1894, though the front coupled wheelbase was
the opposite way round. Unlike ‘West Brighton’, they were all fitted with the Westinghouse
brake, and were used both for goods and suburban passenger traffic. Further members
of the class were constructed in 1895, bringing the total to sixteen. All were painted
in the goods green livery until 1905 when Marsh’s lined black was introduced.
E3 No. 462 ‘Washington’ built by Eric Gates, and illustrated with his kind permission.
Driving Wheels: 4’ 6”
Trailing Wheels: 4' 0"
West B’ton: 7’ 6” x 7’ 9” x 6’ 0”
E3 7’ 9” x 7’ 6” x 6’ 0”
Stroudley’s ‘West Brighton’ and the Billinton E3 radial tanks