The mixed traffic locos were developed from the very successful D1 tank locos that were so numerous on the Brighton system. They carried the same 4’ 3” boiler as the G single, with the first batch commenced with 300 ‘Lyons’ in 1876-8 - from which the class got its name - above - and later the second batch, as exampled below with 313 ‘Paris’.
Paris achieved fame with the elusive daily Grande Vitesse perishable cross-Channel goods services, about which not a great deal is known.
The earlier batch, as can be seen below, had side-mounted clack valves, reversing lever partially hidden behind firebox lagging, shallow buffer beam, wooden bakes, and front guard irons further forward.
The later 1883 batch had exposed
reversing lever, cast iron brakes
partially hidden clacks that were
fitted underneath the boiler, and
parallel full-depth buffer beams.